02/10/2019

Travel and Routine Disruption Effects

I was wondering what I'd talk about this week and I thought I might as well talk about how I'm feeling after a recent trip away. But first, I know the brand name of the chocolate treats from last week's blog. Dr. Coy's is the name.
I went on a trip to Dublin at the weekend. I prepared food for the journey but I also had to eat when that food was gone. I had breakfast in the hotel and I ate at Milanos on Dawson street later that day. the staff were helpful when I told them I have coeliac disease and they even said that another coeliac had already had breakfast that morning. I had gluten free bread, a poached egg and fried tomato. I was served beans as well but I didn't eat them. I chanced a cup of regular tea with milk as well. Later that day I had a gluten free Fiorentina pizza in Milanos. I also had a slice of gluten free carrot cake for dessert with a cup of tea. I had a serving of the fish dish left over last week so I saved it for Dublin. I still hadn't eaten it when I arrived home from my trip so I ate it then.
In order to make breakfast easy to prepare I bought a gluten free pizza before leaving for Dublin so that it'd be in the freezer the morning after I got home. I had something in the press to rustle up a dinner with and had grilled pork chops in the fridge for a few days that I could use as sandwich meat for supper. But I had nothing for dinner yesterday so I ate out.
I'm sensitive to dairy so not eating my usual meals and drinking tea caught up with me. A few skin issues made me feel like my immune system was compromised by going away. Dublin isn't a foreign country but it can feel like it because of the hustle & bustle of a big city compared to a town in the South West of Ireland. That and eating in strange locations with versions of food that my body isn't used to. I read that travel can have an effect on your gut flora. I feel that probably happened to me, even though it was when I woke up the morning after returning home that I really felt the effect. Maybe I'll take a pro-biotic supplement with me the next time I travel, or get some there.
It's amazing how sensitive my body can be to a change in routine. I didn't grocery shop until yesterday so I wasn't eating particularly healthily. I also forgot to take my insulin before breakfast yesterday. Another consequence of a disrupted routine. I was about to eat when I remembered and my glucometer and pen pack was in the bedroom so I decided to wait until after breakfast to test and take insulin. I was trending high all day as a result. I even felt a little bit unwell and took a nap before going to lunch. I waited until after the nap to test and take insulin to time it with my going out to lunch. I wasn't as high as I felt but still high. So overall a journey away disrupted my system and disrupted my daily routine but it was worth it. It's a pity that happens though.
I'm considering getting the flu vaccine because of feeling my immune system has been compromised by the trip. It's been two or three years since I've had flu and, while I think I might be ok, maybe I should get it just in case there's a strain my system isn't prepared for this year.
Well I wrote for longer than expected considering an hour ago I didn't know what I'd write this week. But how tough travel and routine disruption can be on an autoimmune body gave me fuel for thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sensor Issues

My prescription only allows me 2 sensors per month but each one lasts 2 weeks, which covers the whole of February but not every ...