11/03/2019

First Proper Night Out Since Diagnosis

I bought tickets to Bellator Dublin mixed martial arts event last year before I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. The event was on the 23rd of February this year. It was the first major night away from home since diagnosis. I packed a gluten free lunch in case I'd go hypo at the event. I also brought water with me but I wasn't allowed to take that into the venue. It's not for any security reason. It has to do with money. They sell bottled water, soft drinks and alcoholic beverages at the venue and I'm thinking it's to force people to buy things to drink. Thankfully I wasn't asked about the lunchbox in the bag. Actually, I packed 2 lunchboxes, one to nibble on some fruit on the way up to Dublin and be guaranteed something to eat before leaving for the venue and the other, as I said, in case I'd go hypo at the event. It turned out I was able to get some food at the hotel bar. I ordered a soup and some gluten free toast before I left for the venue so I went on a full stomach. Obviously I took insulin before eating the soup and toast.
This is about my autoimmune conditions so I won't go into detail about the event. I tested myself once at the venue when my alarm to remind me of my night time insulin went off. I didn't take it at the venue though. I still wasn't 100% ok with injecting myself in public and there was a queue for the cubicles in the toilets each time I went to use the urinals, so that put me off going there to inject myself. I took my night time insulin more than an hour later than usual that night. My blood sugar was around the eight mark when I tested at the venue so I felt ok.
Having taken my night time insulin late seemed to affect me over the next couple of days. I was doing a lot of walking around Dublin the next day while passing the time until it was time to go to the airport for my flight home to Kerry. So I didn't take much meal time insulin that day to keep myself from going hypo. I think I went hypo anyway at one stage so I might have skipped insulin for one meal. I ate in a restaurant called Millstone on Dawson Street. They had a coeliac menu and the prices were comparable to their regular menu. Both were fairly expensive! But it was great to have the security of being able to eat safely, especially for a diabetic coeliac who needs to keep his sugars up.
The airport didn't offer much in terms of something to eat. A packet of gluten free crisps or a small selection of gluten free junk food at a shop. All the restaurants stated in their menus that there was a risk of gluten cross contamination so I didn't even bother to try them out.
I went hypo at work on the Monday and I think it may have been because there was extra night time insulin in my system because of taking it late Saturday night and at the regular time the following night. It seemed to regulate again as I got back to my routine over the next few days. All in all I think I planned for the event fairly well but it wasn't perfect. As I get used to going away more, the experience will help me improve planning for future events.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sensor Issues

My prescription only allows me 2 sensors per month but each one lasts 2 weeks, which covers the whole of February but not every ...