25/09/2019

Altered Dinner, Chocolate Treats and Galactose

A bit of a follow on from last week. I made the fish dish again for dinners this week as planned. I didn't include the garlic powder but replaced it with pressed garlic cloves. I'm not sure if it tasted nicer but it was at least as delicious and certainly not worse. I haven't had any negative affects from it either. I think it's time to dispose of the garlic powder. I even had lunch in a cafe yesterday from their gluten free options and I still feel fine, whereas I didn't eat out last week. So, by process of elimination, the garlic powder is the only culprit for me feeling dodgy as a result of the fish dinners last week.
I found a new sweet treat this week that could set up a bad habit. I snacked on some chocolate. I saw some chocolate bars as I was browsing in a supermarket out of sheer boredom recently. I don't remember the name of the product but I do know they come in nut, coconut, berry, mint and orange flavours. I checked the packet as I always do and they are gluten free. I won't be eating the nut one because the last time I ate a sweet treat with nut ingredients I had abdominal pain. Nuts are tough on my digestive system. The main selling point for me though was that they are designed to not spike your sugars in the way regular chocolate would. I tried the mint one and it was lovely. My blood sugar was normal before supper. I tried the orange one the following day and my blood sugar was a little bit high before supper but I did take a little less insulin before dinner and I think I might have had another light snack while out and about so it wasn't a surprise. All in all those chocolate bars didn't spike my sugars just like it said. There is no added sugar and no artificial sweeteners in them. Only natural sugars from the ingredients and natural flavours. If I think of the name I might include it in another post.
As with all packaged foods there were allergens in bold but this one came with a warning I had never seen before. It said do not consume if suffering from galactosemia. I had never heard of this condition before so obviously I googled it. It means galactose in the blood and it refers to a group of inherited disorders that impair the body's ability to process and produce energy from a sugar called galactose. I had never heard of this sugar before and googling it only gave me scientific jargon that I don't really understand. But I suppose it's something to take an interest in as another sugar that can enter the system. Something I might need to be aware of with type 1 diabetes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sensor Issues

My prescription only allows me 2 sensors per month but each one lasts 2 weeks, which covers the whole of February but not every ...