16/10/2019

Fibrous Dinner And Diabetes

It's difficult to maintain concentration when you have two autoimmune diseases, even when it feels like they're under control. I have a project in mind that I should be working on but I get easily distracted by social media and youtube apps on my phone. It's easy to fall into a comfort zone, zone out from the rest of the world, forget your troubles for a while and completely lose track of time when that happens. It could be a mental health issue as well, but autoimmune and mental health generally go hand in hand I'd say, just that people cope with them in different ways. That's when you can cope.
This week I think the very fibrous dinner in the picture affected my digestive system. What you see in it is poached chicken thigh fillet, spinach, carrots, parsnip and carb lover's cauliflower sprinkled with pepper and garnished with chives. The chicken thigh fillet is a variation on the lemon peppercorn poached chicken breast recipe from the healthy gut cookbook. The carb lover's cauliflower is from the paleo diet cookbook. Normally I get the urge to use the toilet after breakfast. I did, as usual, yesterday and had a shower afterwards thinking I was done for the day. But the urge came again later and I ended up going three times altogether. I think it might have been the dinners cleaning out my system because that was the only thing majorly different I was eating this week. I didn't feel unwell like I would if it happened as a result of junk food. That's why I think it was the fibre in the dinner. It's a tasty dinner nonetheless.
I've been trying to include more cooking and natural foods in meals. Last week for breakfast I had green energy soup from the cookbook plant-based paleo instead of shop bought stuff. But I'm still topping up breakfast with gluten free bread. Cooking more is a way to be prepared should I ever make the transition to the AIP diet.
I posted on Instagram last night. There was a photo of my Lantus pen after taking a dose. I captioned it "I love the smell of my staying alive juice". I do though. Whether it be NovoRapid or Lantus, I love the smell of them both. Speaking of insulin, I increased my breakfast and supper insulin from a baseline of three units to a baseline of four. I keep dinner at a baseline of two. I say baseline as what I'd take if I'm not over 8.9mmol/l. I usually am these days. Anyway, if I take more than two units (again assuming I'm within range) with dinner I'll go low before supper, especially if I'm active. I took two units the other day with dinner and was 4.4 before supper. I took four units for supper. I wasn't very active after supper and when I tested before Lantus I went up above 10... even though I took four units with supper! That's how tricky it is to control. Dinner carbs are less and slower acting. That's my theory as to why that happened.
I have an appointment with the diabetes nurse on Monday. I expect my HbA1c to be higher than it was in April because my blood sugar has been harder to control since July. I have a few questions to ask her about diabetes and hope to get bloods done as well for pretty much everything. How I get on will be the subject matter for the blog next week I'd say.
I can't think of anything to say on the coeliac side of things. That's a good thing though because if there isn't much to say it means things are under control.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sensor Issues

My prescription only allows me 2 sensors per month but each one lasts 2 weeks, which covers the whole of February but not every ...