18/09/2019

This Week. Part 2: How I'm feeling

I remember that I stopped getting garlic powder before because I didn't feel great after it. Or at least that was the chief suspect. I got it again this week for inclusion in the sea bass recipe and it never dawned on me that I stopped getting it before until I started feeling strange this week. I'm having the hake (that I ended up using instead of sea bass - see part 1) anyway because I don't want it to go to waste after going to the trouble of cooking four portions Sunday and saving three of them in the fridge for the next few days.
On Monday things started getting uncomfortable in the bowel region and I had abdominal cramps. Strange thing is there was little to no bloating. So it got me thinking. Perhaps the garlic is more concentrated in the powder and the fact that I haven't had leeks in quite a while meant that there was a high concentration of FODMAPs in the dish. Maybe it wasn't gluten at all. But it could also be that there was just enough of a contamination in the garlic powder to make my body detect gluten. Not enough to be as sick as I was the last time I ate gluten but enough to make my body react and cause inflammation in the gut. I don't know for sure but it's probably best to get rid of the garlic powder anyway. I plan on making the dish again at the weekend but this time I'll use pressed garlic cloves and compare how I feel. There will still be garlic in it that way. I can also use it as a taste and flavour comparison to see which I prefer. If there's no difference I can either not use garlic at all or keep using the cloves.
I want to move away from that dish now and just talk about how my physical health is affecting my mental well being. Being single and living alone means I'm alone with my thoughts a lot. I've been experiencing itchy rashes on my skin, especially my legs, on and off since I got out of hospital in January after being diagnosed with diabetes. I went to the doctor about it months ago and he gave me a steroid cream and an emulsifying cream for it. It felt like treating the symptoms without investigating the cause to be honest. Lately it has been flaring up again and when you're alone with your thoughts things like skin cancer enter your mind even though the doctor said the rashes were an allergic reaction to something. I've heard of people being allergic to certain types of insulin and mine have come on since I started taking insulin. But I really shouldn't over think these things because I'm only creating more worries for myself. I'm seeing the diabetes nurse next month and, assuming the itchiness doesn't get worse and the rash doesn't spread, I'll ask her opinion before going to a doctor again about it.
I'm still nowhere near trying the AIP diet and perhaps that'll help with my skin if I do start it. That's a hopeful thought to end on so I'll leave it there.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sensor Issues

My prescription only allows me 2 sensors per month but each one lasts 2 weeks, which covers the whole of February but not every ...