05/02/2020

Dietitian, Tennis Elbow and Glucojuice

I went to the dietitian as planned on Thursday. I could have gone over my diet with her in more detail than I did but the way the appointment went and the way the conversation went meant I went with the flow and didn't give her the full story. I'm 82.7kg in clothes and shoes. That's 2.7kg over weight. She said it was ok to keep eating gluten free bread but cut down on things like sausages and black and white puddings and the Dr. Coy's chocolates. She said brown bread is better because it has more fibre. Generally more fibre will help with my weight apparently. I didn't tell her I'd be using animal fat and ghee in cooking this week but I know she'd frown upon me using them. I told her how my sugars were trending high lately and she said bringing my weight down would help bring my sugars down. Because of my weight and blood sugar levels, she wants to see me sooner than six months. I have an appointment with the diabetic nurse in April so the dietitian made one for May. At the end of the appointment I asked her about weight gain and insulin resistance. She said that the reason I need more insulin is because there's more of me there. Funny, but it makes sense!
I had to collect my diabetes prescriptions from the doctor yesterday so as I was going there I made an appointment to see him about a niggling irritation in one of my joints. There was a medical student there and the doctor asked if it was ok to see her first. Since it wasn't serious I agreed. We went to an examination room and the doctor said he'd join us after a while. I told her about a niggling pain in my elbow and she examined my arm and it's flexibility. I didn't feel any pain while she was doing that. The doctor came in and asked her about me and what she did to check me. He spoke some medical terms to her that I didn't understand. Then he asked me to stand up, reach out my arm straight in front palm down and resist him pushing it down. I instantly felt the twinge I was telling them about. You can't beat experience. He knew what it was before testing my arm and the test confirmed it. The medical student tested every range of motion except what the doctor tested. It gives me faith in the diagnostic experience of my doctor. The diagnosis is tennis elbow. A repetitive strain injury. He gave me a prescription for anti-inflammatories and a cream to rub on the area should things get too painful (but I don't expect it to). He also gave me a print out of exercises to do that will help and told me to get a strap specially designed for tennis elbow at the pharmacy. I was thinking how inflammation is a problem for people with autoimmune diseases and even though I don't know what caused my tennis elbow, I'm not surprised that it's a type of inflammation in one of the nerves around the elbow.
The diabetic nurse recommended Glucojuice in October instead of that glucogel I have. I finally got it put on the prescription at the doctor yesterday and collected it today. I already have the lift glucose tablets but it's handy to have these as well. I have been trending high, like I said, so I don't think they'll be used anytime soon but obviously it's best to have them just in case.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sensor Issues

My prescription only allows me 2 sensors per month but each one lasts 2 weeks, which covers the whole of February but not every ...