27/11/2019

Job Interview, Work Life Balance & Diabetes

I have a job interview tomorrow. Assuming I get the job it'll initially add anxiety and stress to my life. I'll have to arrange transport to and from work. I don't have a car. I'll have to work Monday to Friday while training. That'll be awkward for meal planning and meal preparation. Managing my blood sugar and having to explain to non-coeliacs about cross contamination are other issues I have to overcome to stay healthy. Then there's the anxiety and stress of fitting in to a new job and the pressure to do the job right as well as having to be around and get used to new people. I won't be disappointed if I don't get the job for all these reasons.
If I do get offered the job and they want me to do a rotating shift cycle I won't take the job. I can't do shifts anymore because my health is more important than compromising it for any job. The reason I applied is because it's for weekends, Saturday and Sunday. Two 12-hour shifts is fine because I have Monday to Friday to myself. I worked Friday to Sunday 8am-8pm in a previous job and it suited me. Ideally I'd like to condense a work week into a maximum of three days for a better work/life balance. It doesn't matter what three days as long as it's the same three days in a row every week. This job I'm being interviewed for is better because it's two. It means I don't have to give up my weekly routines and can adjust my meal prep from Sunday to Wednesday for my previous job to Friday to Monday when I start weekends. I don't know what I'll do for Thursdays and Fridays of the training period but I'll figure something out if necessary.
The extra money would be very handy, improving my lifestyle, and I could potentially be driving which means more mobility in my free time. Grocery shopping would be much faster too and might give me more time for food prep for an even healthier diet. To make up for walking less I could probably take up a martial art like I've been thinking (and procrastinating) about  for a long time. So there are pros and cons to this job. I'll see which outweighs the other before taking it if offered.
I've noticed my blood sugar lowering now that the weather is colder. The body probably using more energy to stay warm. I've reduced my breakfast insulin from five back to four. I went low before dinner yesterday just from going out and about getting things done, even though I already reduced breakfast insulin to four units and ate my usual late morning fruit snack. Just felt it as I was testing myself. I snacked going to the shop and coming back last night and it worked. I knew if I didn't I'd go low again. I like having something to munch on coming back from the shop anyway so I liked that I had the excuse to snack without insulin. Nothing of any significance on the coeliac side of things but that's a good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sensor Issues

My prescription only allows me 2 sensors per month but each one lasts 2 weeks, which covers the whole of February but not every ...