11/09/2019

AIP Preperations and Gluten Sickness

A few weeks ago I bought red cabbage with the intention of making a red sauerkraut. The cabbage ended up going mouldy in the press so I had to throw it out without making the sauerkraut. This is an example of the lack of motivation I spoke of in the previous blog post. The weekend before last I made a batch of chicken stock and froze it. My motivation that weekend was it was part of my meal prep because I planned on using the chicken for meals. But it was also part of a longer term plan to alter my diet in preparation for investing in AIP literature and trying the diet. I don't have a time frame for that though and don't have a meal plan for implementing it anyway yet. But at least the chicken stock should be good for up to six months in the freezer and I can use some in future dinner recipes anyway regardless of whether I go with AIP or not.
I had a bit of a setback at the weekend on the coeliac end of things. I ate something that I was assured by someone else was gluten free. I ate without asking what was in it and how it was prepared. I took a gamble and it didn't pay off. They were home made treats by someone who doesn't fully understand coeliac disease and the risk of cross contamination. As soon as I got home I felt bloated. I went to bed feeling ok though. In the middle of the night I woke up feeling nauseated and like my stomach was tying itself in knots. I went to the bathroom and for the first time since I was diagnosed six years ago I actually vomited from gluten. I checked my blood sugar afterwards and was still in range so I was able to go back to bed and sleep. But I brought the basin from the kitchen sink with me just in case. Thankfully I slept through the night after that. Even though no one wants to vomit, I felt it was a good thing the following day. I wasn't as sick as previous times I had gluten and I was able to function. Maybe I got most of the gluten out of my system before it could cause my immune system to do some real damage. I didn't go hypoglycemic the following day either. in fact my blood sugar rose by a over a mmol overnight when I tested before breakfast. The diarrhea came a bit later than usual though. That happened a couple of days after instead of the following day.
It's strange how my body reacted to gluten that time. Maybe because I scoffed down a lot of the contaminated food that time compared to an accidental ingestion. I had also been to a yoga class that evening and yoga twists are supposed to be great for the blood circulation around the digestive system and the muscles that control it. So maybe my digestive system was doing what it was supposed to be doing at a higher performance level because of this and eliminated the gluten as quickly as possible.
I don't think I've anything to share from the diabetes end of things that I can think of so I'll leave it there for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sensor Issues

My prescription only allows me 2 sensors per month but each one lasts 2 weeks, which covers the whole of February but not every ...