17/03/2019

Weird Dreams

Last night I had a dream but it's not the first time since developing T1. The first time was actually before my diagnosis, when I suspected but didn't want to believe it.
Last night I dreamt that I was in a high place but was afraid of falling. It wasn't the first time I had that type of dream. The first time was more scary and vivid as I remember crying out in the dream before waking, that I wanted to get down safely. Last night I didn't feel in as much panic before waking. Just a typical fear of heights.
The dream I had before diagnosis was different. There was some sort of apocalyptic chaos going on that could have been prevented and I was in a boiler room where it was overheating and the maintenance man was waiting for me to do something about it, but I was reluctant to take responsibility for it. The boiler was about to explode.
After thinking about each dream after waking from them, I reached pretty much the same conclusion: my body was trying to tell me something. The first dream I was heading towards DKA (diabetic ketoacidosis) but I didn't want to believe I could be diabetic and was hoping my body would hold out until I planned to changed my diet in the new year. It didn't hold out and diabetes influenced the way I eat instead. I was afraid of the responsibility of dealing with diabetes. The second and third dreams were my body telling me my blood sugars were a bit high. But my subconscious mind has a fear of going low (hypoglycemic) at night. So when my sugars were going down during the night  the part of me that fears lows during sleep was worried. It needn't have been. Only once I've been low when I woke up (3.3) but that was back in February and this morning I was a normal 7.4.
It's interesting how the subconscious mind tries to communicate with you. But it's like speaking a language you're not familiar with. You need an interpreter or time to think and piece together the bits you understand to try and make sense of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sensor Issues

My prescription only allows me 2 sensors per month but each one lasts 2 weeks, which covers the whole of February but not every ...