17/06/2022

New Glucometer, Alternative Test Sites

 My glucometer stopped reading test strips and the screen on my spare wouldn't work so I had to call my diabetes nurse. She left a new meter for me at reception in the hospital and I collected it today. Anyway, looking at the instructions while setting up the new meter, I noticed what you see in the picture. I only ever use fingertips but I didn't know (with the latest freestyle optium neo glucometer anyway) that you can also take blood sugar readings from the forearm, upper arm and base of the thumb! Ketone readings should only be taken from the fingertips though. I'll keep the upper arms for my freestyle libre sensor though. 
I was ok without it because I have a "contour next" digital meter in case my freestyle libre doesn't work. But that doesn't take ketone readings and I just noticed that the strips for that (which I don't have a prescription for) expire at the end of this month. I have an appointment with my nurse in August and I'll ask her if she has any spare strips for the contour next meter in case of emergency then.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sensor Issues

My prescription only allows me 2 sensors per month but each one lasts 2 weeks, which covers the whole of February but not every ...