09/01/2019

Welcome Post

Hello everyone and welcome to my new blog. I had a gluten free blog but I stopped contributing to it by procrastination and then a recent life-changing event prompted me to get rid of it and set up this one instead. I have a history of autoimmune diseases. In my teens I developed the symptoms of what I've seen online named as Grave's disease but I was never given a name for the condition I had. I was treated with a drug called neomercazole until my early twenties when it went into remission and subsequent tests for thyroid function have always come back normal.
At 38 years old a blood test came back positive for Coeliac disease after over a year of health issues and IBS. It took quite a while to get on top of a gluten free diet and coeliac lifestyle but I persevered and, apart from a few bad dietary habits, I knew what foods suited me and what didn't. I always tried to remain positive and looked at coeliac as a blessing in disguise in a way because my diet changed for the better and my taste in food changed to liking healthier food that I couldn't bare before.
Then at the end of 2018 I got a devastating diagnosis - type 1 diabetes. It still hasn't fully sunk in. Whereas coeliac was a blessing in disguise, diabetes is definitely a curse. I spoke about my diagnosis in an older blog but that no longer exists so I can't link to it anymore.
So now I have developed the holy trinity of autoimmune problems - Thyroid, coeliac & type 1 diabetes. The lesson here is look after my gut health and because of a history of autoimmune diseases stay the heck away from grains, especially gluten-containing ones, and be wary of inflammatory foods such as sugars and nightshades.
One more thing. If you're looking for a post about something specific you can browse the labels column on the left (main website only, not on mobile) and clicking on the most relevant one should help you find what you're looking for.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sensor Issues

My prescription only allows me 2 sensors per month but each one lasts 2 weeks, which covers the whole of February but not every ...