23/01/2019

Back To Work

First week back at work since diabetes diagnosis and it's been ok. Not too hectic and not too harsh on my blood glucose levels. There have been times when I was well within range when I tested myself at lunch but I still took my normal insulin dose for that time because a) the work I'd be doing wouldn't be too physically demanding and b) the temptation to have a little snack in the afternoon would arise and sometimes it'd be a bit sugary. So I would still want the insulin to keep me stable. That's the way I looked at it anyway. I'm still learning though. Maybe that's why I'm coping well - treating it as a learning experience. I've felt fine so obviously the amount was ok. Although I noticed that sometimes I'd feel fine with higher than normal glucose levels but feeling almost like I'm going hypo if I  dropped from 9 or 10 to 5mmol/l.
The nice people in work were glad to see me back and out of danger and, a bit late I know but, they had a get well soon card ready for me when I got back. They didn't have the opportunity to give it to me in hospital or my 2 week recovery period afterwards but I loved the sentiment all the same. I chose the right week to return because if it had been a busy week one of my co-workers was on holidays this week and and an excessive workload could've caused a few hypos. Next week it'll be a bit busier because we have to prepare for new stock coming in at the end of the week and the busiest day when we have to unload the truck, sort the stock and put it away. That'll be a better test of how I'm managing my diabetes.
I've noticed I'm most likely to go hypo if I go for a walk at night, say after 8pm. So I won't get much done on a work day evening. That could get frustrating because of things like Tuesday night was usually cinema night for me last year or of I need to go to the shop for something before they close. Speaking of frustration,  I'm fine with taking insulin. I don't mind injecting myself. But I don't think I'll ever feel good about testing myself. The strips don't last long and it's even more frustrating to waste one due to not drawing enough blood. Drawing blood every time is awkward and inconvenient. I hope I can learn to give my diet an overhaul to suit diabetes. Coeliac took a long period of trial and error. But I'm managing to get back to my meal planning strategy of last year so hopefully that will free up the time to find out what food works best for both coeliac disease and diabetes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sensor Issues

My prescription only allows me 2 sensors per month but each one lasts 2 weeks, which covers the whole of February but not every ...