13/01/2019

2 Weeks In

Well it's been just over 2 weeks since diabetes diagnosis and 9 days since I got out of hospital and you can probably tell one of the difficulties I've been having from the photo.
I went hypoglycemic 3 times in 4 days at night before I was due my long acting insulin. So I did what I was told to do when I went 'hypo'. I took some glucose tablets, rested for about 15 minutes and then had something to eat to keep my blood sugars up. The 3 times I went hypo were the 3 times I went to the shop in the late evening. It was frustrating for two reasons. First of all it was when I was winding down before bed time and I don't want to go to sleep hypo as it could be dangerous. Secondly I took a 20 minute walk to the hospital for an out patients appointment and was still high (11.7) when I tested myself before the walk home, yet the much shorter walk to the shop that night sent me hypo.
The diabetic nurse said apart from the two hypos at the time, it looked like I was controlling my sugars fairly well considering how new it is to me. She hooked up the glucometer to her computer to see my figures. She said to reduce my evening insulin dose to try and prevent the lows so I did.
I had a theory as to why I was going low. I haven't been looking after my diet as well as previously and the starchy foods are taking their toll on my coeliac gut. But I stress that I never deliberately ingest gluten. So things started to get a bit runny (hence the photo) and I wasn't absorbing nutrients from food efficiently. But last night I didn't go to the shop or any sort of walk outside after supper and I was high again testing myself before my night time insulin. So the walking at night must have been much more of a factor than my diet. I also took one glucose tablet as a preventative measure and that probably gave my sugars more of a spike than just supper and resting for the evening.
The plan is now to get back to the meal planning strategy I had last year and improve on it. Sometimes it's hard to have the motivation and energy to cook though. I'll persevere. I managed to spend the day cooking when I was totally fatigued in the week before diagnosis so I'll just need to channel that determination again and keep control of my energy and blood glucose levels.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sensor Issues

My prescription only allows me 2 sensors per month but each one lasts 2 weeks, which covers the whole of February but not every ...