11/05/2022

Coeliac Awareness Week

In recent years coeliac awareness week hasn't felt like that big of a deal for me. In a way it's probably a good thing. I have it fairly well managed and I generally know what I can and can't eat. There are events happening for it like the gluten free kitchen company and coeliac society of Ireland hosting a support group event locally and Becky Excell doing an online live cooking event for the coeliac society of Ireland. But I think more people are more aware of what coeliac disease is these days and the food products available have much more variety than they did even when I was diagnosed just over 8½ years ago and that has contributed to it not seeming as big of a deal as it was to me when I first heard of coeliac awareness week.
Perhaps somewhat ironically, one way to tell when my diet is healthier or less healthy is by the frequency of me buying stuff from the gluten free/free from aisles in grocery shops. As in the less frequently I get stuff from those specific aisles the healthier my diet is at that particular period of time. 
If I'm eating healthy I'm generally cooking proper meals for myself consisting of vegetables, fruit and unprocessed meat, none of which are in the gluten free/free from aisles. If I'm not eating my healthiest diet I'm buying gluten free packaged products, biscuits and sweets, all of which are generally placed specifically in gluten free/free from aisles in supermarkets. I have been getting a lot of quick & easy products that are gluten free instead of going to the bother of cooking wholesome nutritious meals lately. My blood sugar has generally been manageable though because I'm more active with work.
But I digress. If you're coeliac and your diet is healthy you might find that you're visiting the gluten free section in a shop less and less and sometimes avoiding it altogether. If you feel better because of it, that's great. 
My diet needs an overhaul but it's tricky to get myself into the right place mentally to do that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sensor Issues

My prescription only allows me 2 sensors per month but each one lasts 2 weeks, which covers the whole of February but not every ...